Monday, May 4, 2009

Diagnostic Essay

Diagnostic Essay Original

Scott Celec

Mr. Gasparo

English 111-29

February 14, 2009

What I will be doing in ten years…

I am going to set this paper up a little differently than how you want me to write it. I am going to write down what I want to have accomplished in increments of two or more years leading up to ten years. I could not think of a better way to explain what direction my life will be heading in, so I decided that I will make a step-by-step plan for the next ten years. The first step toward my goal or career will take place this spring at TCC.
What I want to accomplish in the next two years is to receive my associate’s degree for the basic classes in science, math, and English that I will be taking at TCC. I may even take summer classes to get this part of my plan done faster. After I receive my associate’s degree I will transfer to a university to continue my education. I wish to continue my degree in Architectural Design. This will be the first, two-year, step in my plan.
Then next step will be after I receive my Bachelor’s in Architectural Design I will then keep on pursing my education at the university to receive my Master’s degree, because a Bachelor’s degree isn’t worth what it used to be anymore. Then the hard part comes along, where will I work and what company will hire me? Trying to find a career is much harder. This will be the next step in my plan taking approximately four years, six years in all.
What I really see myself doing in ten years belongs in this next step. After school is out of the way and I have been working with a fine Architectural firm for about four years. I see myself happily living with my girlfriend Ashley and make enough money to support us in an apartment and have some fun tickets for other things after taxes of course. I won’t be married yet and I don’t plan to be, I want to make sure that I am economically feasible before I decide on the decision to start a family. I will be a manager of some sort of department at the Architectural firm, and I will be happy because I am doing what I have always wanted to do since high school, work with a team to make building plans for homes, office buildings, and recreation facilities.
I love designing and building and if I could see my designs in buildings or parts of building being used frequently, I could go around telling people, “I helped build that beautiful building there.” Who knows I might even be able to design my plan for my house after a few years of working in the Architectural business, with a few more promotions too, along the way. The house I help build will be the house where I will finally be able to start my own family. These will be my accomplishments in more than ten years, probably twelve or thirteen instead. Well the clock is ticking, and the plan is already in motion. So wish me luck!

Diagnostic Essay Final

Scott Celec
Mr. Gasparo
English 111-29
May 4, 2009

What I will be doing in ten years…

I am going to set this paper up a bit differently than how you asked me to write it. I am going to write down what I want to accomplish in increments of two to four years, leading up to ten years. I could not think of a better way to present what direction my life will be heading so I decided to write a simple step-by-step plan for the next ten years. The first steps toward my goal or career will take place this spring at Tidewater Community College.
My goal for the next two years is to earn my Associate’s Degree for the fundamental classes in Science, Math, and English that I will be taking at our college. I plan to take summer classes to even out the work load and perhaps, get this phase of my plan completed early. After I receive my Associate’s Degree, I will transfer to a university to continue my education. I wish to continue my studies to earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Architectural Design. This will be the first, two-year step in my plan.
The next step in my plan will be after I receive my undergraduate architectural degree. I will continue my education at the same university to receive a Master’s Degree, because a Bachelor’s Degree is not as valuable or competitive as it used to be. Then the hard part comes along, finding a job. Trying to find a job and start a career will be more difficult. In my plan, education will take six years.
What I really see myself doing in ten years belongs in the final step. After school is out of the way and I have found a job with an architectural firm for four years, I see myself happily living with my girlfriend Ashley. I hope to make enough money to support us in an apartment and have some “fun tickets” for things other than taxes and living expenses. I do not plan to be married. I want to make sure that I am economically sound before I make a decision about starting a family. I see myself as a department manager of some sort at the architectural firm and I hope to be happy with my work. I will be doing what I have dreamed about doing since high school, working with a team to create building plans for homes, office buildings and recreation facilities.
I love designing and building. If I could see my designs in buildings or parts of buildings, I would be able to tell people “I helped build that beautiful building.” I hope to design the plans for my own home after a few years in the architectural business. The house that I design will be the home where I will start a family. Throw in a few promotions along the way and these represent my dreams and accomplishments over the next ten years, perhaps twelve or thirteen years at the outside. The clock is ticking and the plan is already in motion so…wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. • Make it an exciting personal experience narrative, not a list of bland details. Tell a story as opposed to writing a (boring) timeline of events.

    • At least 50% of your content is completely new.
    • A clever, creative title that relates to your revised or rewritten essay.
    • Make sure that your essay includes a beginning, middle, and end.
    • Show, don’t tell: make your reader believe they are inside of the story by including apt sensory description. Remember RENNS and the other aspects of “good” writing.
    • Use the rhetorical appeals to make your audience feel and think (you do not need to use the terms themselves).
    • No structural or grammatical errors.
    • Required word count of your revised essay is between 600 and 1,200 words.

    ReplyDelete